Friday, August 24, 2007

teaching

So I don't really know what to post about today, but it's been a week.

Oh yeah! My classes! I taught two classes this past week and they both went really well. Monday was part 1 of Beginning Knitting and Wednesday was Felted Bag. I could tell I'd been feeling a little more confident about it cause I was actually able to get to sleep the nights before, which I was unable to do the first few times I taught classes. I would toss and turn and have dreams that I forgot something really important or got stuck running late. Another thing that helped me to not stammer and sweat was writing the hand outs outlining everything for the students. I'm pleased with how they turned out, but I need to add more. I also want to come up with some illustrations. I just saw that the Knitting and Crochet Show in Oakland next month is having a teacher's workshop that I want to sign up for.

Here's a picture of some stuff I bring in to show my beginning students ideas of what they can do with limited skills and practice.

And some other stuff so they can see what they have to look forward to.



This is a sweater I made for my friend's newborn nephew in Paris that she mailed off to him today. I can't wait to see pictures of him in it! This was the project that turned me off to intarsia. Or at least intarsia with cotton. It is made of Cascade Pima Silk.


WTF?!? #6: Someone (a councilman I guess) in Atlanta is proposing a law banning baggy pants/ visible underwear because he is "tired" of seeing boxers etc. above guys' waistbands. Many are outraged, saying it's nothing more than racial profiling. This ban would also extend to visible thongs, bra straps, and wearing a sports bra as a top in public. This definitely sounds like a tyrant at work. Having a "Falling Down" moment. I mean I sure could do without seeing peoples' thong (just using the word makes gag - but I have a "thing" about certain words), but what's next? Can we start banning peoples' cheap after shave too?

No comments: