Tuesday, October 2, 2007

The nice thing about living in the country

Holy shit I got my Ravelry invite! I'd kind of forgotten about it because last time I checked I was number 7,000 something. My user name there is taniask. I logged in and stuff but I haven't really gotten started with it yet, nor have I explored it at all. These things (as well as loading up a flickr account) are very time consuming to do using only a dial-up connection. Yes, like I said, I'm living in the middle of nowhere.

Speaking of which, we had our Pear Festival here in Kelseyville (the bartlett pear capital) on Saturday. It is the biggest street event of the year, and it starts off with a parade! It is actually the first of three parades we have every year that come right down Main Street. Number two is at like 9 in the morning on Halloween, and it is all of the children from the local elementary schools all dressed up in their costumes. Needless to say that is hell of cute. Number three is at night time right in the beginning of December, when it is nice and freezy outside, and it is a parade of (Christmas) lights. Even the miniature horses have lights all over them. And some dogs, too. I get totally verklempt during parades. It is the marching band (in our case the Kelseyville High School Band) that does it every time. I have no idea why this is. It doesn't matter what they're playing. I am a huge dork. Here is a shot of them looking cool and bored in their black t-shirts and jeans, with beautiful Mt. Konocti in the background. I believe they were playing "25 or 6 to 4" when I took this.



WTF?!? #9: Tonight I was watching some of that "War" series on PBS. The Ken Burns documentary. Anyway at one point the narrator was talking about how the acronyms SNAFU and FUBAR had worked their way into our vocabulary. When he said what those stood for, the word "fucked" was bleeped out. I think its a little ironic that the part that people thought was offensive enough to be censored was the profanity and not the carnage. I figured maybe PBS would let that one pass, especially in its historical context.

Happy birthday Aesop! I hope you found the cream tequila you were looking for...

No comments: