Tuesday, September 25, 2007

If you are easily offended, look away... I'm hideous!

For the record...

Here are just a few words and phrases I'm totally sick of reading on peoples' knit blogs. I'd be stoked if I didn't have to see them anymore, but in the meantime if I see these terms used too many times in one place I will usually grunt, click, and move on. Unless, of course, I am blown away by the photos, or the person is talking hell of shit that I think is funny.

1. "rambling(s)" yeah. duh. we don't need to be told that you are rambling. it's a blog. I believe that's what they're for.
2. "musing(s)" see #1.
3. "random thoughts" again, see #1.
4. "occasional rants" when there isn't ever actually any ranting.
5. "yarn harlot" gasp! that's right. I said it. Sorry. Master of the obvious. Didn't learn anything from reading two of her books, cover to cover. I would probably like her if I met her in person, though.
6. "LOL" never funny. keep this particular one out of my text messages too, please!

Feel free to comment!

Oh yeah, if you're going to be at the K&C show in Oakland on Thursday, see you there!

4 comments:

Courtney said...

I thought the Yarn Harlot's first book was pretty funny, especially as a newbie to the subculture of crazy knitters, good for learning the terminology, etc.
I agree though, I think she has run out of material. I said something to this affect at a knit night and was chastised heavily.
I am almost 32 and I don't get the whole text message thing, it seems so juvenile. Ironically, the only person in my life who consistently does this is my mom. She moved to Southern california several years ago and I dare say there is a connection.
Well randon thoughts and rants I am guilty of at times, if you can't do it on your blog.... but you have to consider whether the stuff is at all readable, so I try to keep it to a minimum.

Elspeth said...

I agree. I'm very interested in language, and the overuse of the obvious, and I didn't really think about those terms but you are right, they are everywhere. I've never been interested in the Yarn Harlot's books or blogs. If I'm going to get a knitting book it is going to be a pattern book. I don't buy Vogue or IK for the "articles" ;) !

Tania Sk said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tania Sk said...

I came to a conclusion based on insufficient data and I feel like a jerk now for saying that stuff about Stephanie P.-M. I'd never read her blog. And now that I'm in the middle of day 4 sick at home with the worst flu I've had since 1988, I'm up to July 2004 of the Yarn Harlot blog and it's really good. I have since emailed her apologizing for being an ass.