Saturday, July 14, 2007

Very first entry.

I've been turning this over in my head for a few weeks now and finally decided that today is as good a day as any to give birth to my very own blog. It is also the birthday of two friends (Lydia and Rik). It is also Bastille Day, which holds no personal significance for me (until now, I guess). I did visit Paris once the day after it, though, and the streets were a mess.

I am mainly starting this to keep a record of my knitting, but I will also include some pictures of other stuff I find interesting whenever possible. I don't actually have my own camera other than the janky one in my phone, but some very nice people let me use theirs.

This blog will also contain the grumblings of a city person trying not to lose her mind in the country. I am from San Francisco and I live in Kelseyville, CA. I try to visit SF whenever possible.

There will be profanity in this blog. I am a smart ass. I am silly. Sometimes there will be pictures of food. I will talk about stuff that makes me laugh. I will sometimes talk about more personal stuff. I will not talk about my kids because I don't have any. But I will talk about my dogs. And other people's kids and the items I knit for them. And their dogs.

I started knitting in November of 2005 when I got a job in a
yarn store. I have knit every single day since I started. So I'm pretty good at it. I usually have 5-15 unfinished projects in progress at any given time. I am also teaching myself to crochet. I don't like it as much aesthetically, as I think it is by nature just frillier looking and I am not very girly. Although I do enjoy knitting lace (which I may never wear - it doesn't really go
with my sneakers).

Sometimes I teach classes at the store where I work so I will talk about that sometimes too. I still get nervous and can't get to sleep the night before.

The pictured FOs on this blog will not necessarily be posted in their chronological order of completion, but in the order which their photos become uploadable or whenever I feel like it. But I will try to mention their dates of completion and any other pertinent information that I remember, even if only for my own reference.


Lamb's "twinset"


Here's a shot of Lamb (taken with aforementioned janky camerafone) in a hat and scarf I made (December 2005?) of some french 100% angora I bought off ebay. Lamb is about the size of my hand. I got him at Cala Foods on South Van Ness right after easter in 1997.



JJ's hat


Here is a hat that I made for my friend Lydia's (yeah the one whose birthday is today) daughter Jackie June. I made it at work one day (in late July or early August of 2006) with Cascade 220 superwash and size 7 Addi Turbos. The tie that goes through the eyelets is Cascade Magnum. It is my own design. I learned about twisting the yarn the right direction so as to not get holes at the start of a new color at the beginning of a round. I was guessing with the colors so you can bet I was happy to see that dress she had on. And the one she changed into later also matched it perfectly. Those are my hands stretching the hat over her head.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Blog. It sounds like a regular read for me. I can relate to being in a little town, although my home town is like mars compared to CA. I love the pics of your puppies and all your knitting. I'm sure I don't need to tell you, but you are very talented. An inspiration. I can't wait to show off the things I hope to make. Peace and love.